Tools to Create Your End-of-Life Doula Business—May Newsletter
We offer functional tools to create your own end-of-life doula practice. Comprehensive training, lifetime certification, doula directory, member webinars, and more. This month–Domestic Violence Awareness for Doulas tools and resources.
Doula training options:
Breathe a sigh of relief to find yourself in the company of others who use words like “honor,” “privilege,” “amazing,” and “profound” when referencing being present at the bedside of the dying. Somehow, we feel drawn to the experience and sense that we can help ease suffering. Our comprehensive End-of-Life Doula Training gives you the foundation and tools to create your own unique doula practice. We offer:
- 10 self-paced online training modules (30-35 hours)
- Live interactive workshop on Zoom (9 hours)
- Lifetime certification (included in the registration fee); process now open to EOLDs who trained elsewhere. Learn more.
- An Enhanced Directory Listing (good for one year; starts when you are ready)
- The option to expand your role to birth and postpartum doula support with discounted training bundles (simply scroll to the bottom of the training page to learn more)
Upcoming 2021 Trainings (your choice of dates)
- July 17 & 18 (Saturday & Sunday, 9:30am-3pm EST)
- August 21 & 22 (Saturday & Sunday, 9:30am-3pm EST) (Just added!)
- September 14, 21 & 28 (3 Tuesdays, 1-4:15pm EST)
- October 23 & 24 (Saturday & Sunday, 9:30am-3pm EST)
- November 20 & 21 (Saturday & Sunday, 9:30am-3pm EST)
From our course evaluations …
Domestic Violence Awareness for Doulas
What are the signs of an abusive relationship? Check out these Power and Control Wheels, available in many languages online.
Power and Control Wheel. How might these behaviors look different for new immigrants? What additional factors are at play?
Immigrant Power and Control Wheel. Now, how can doulas witness, understand, and respond appropriately? See our new guide, excerpted from The Doula Business Guide, by Patty Brennan, and now part of our Doula Fundamentals & Essential Skills training (incorporated into the End-of-Life Doula Training).
Favorite Blogs & Resources
Funeral Industry Facts: Caskets. There is no greater moneymaker for a funeral home than the casket. The markup on caskets is enormous: 300–600%.
Online Finger Labyrinth Walk and other cool stuff online from Rob Meyer Kukan, who just completed his EOLD training with us. Rob found a way to continue offering healing and support to others as he adapted to COVID restrictions.
Dying Scared, by Barbara Karnes. “Dear Barbara: My mother’s death was the most haunting thing I have ever experienced and no one has been able to explain it to me.”
CULTURAL, RELIGIOUS & SPIRITUAL PRACTICES RELATED TO END-OF-LIFE CARE
This presentation will focus on how culture, religious beliefs, and/or spirituality impact end-of-life experiences for clients and families. We will discuss Judaism, Catholicism, and Islam and their cultural/traditional end-of-life practices.
Upcoming Members Only Webinars ~ Mark Your Calendars!
July 21 (Wednesday, 7–8pm EST)
HOLDING SPACE FOR PREGNANCY LOSS
With author AMY WRIGHT GLENN
What does it mean to hold space? What does it mean to companion the bereaved? How can doulas feel both confident and compassionate in the event of a planned fetal demise or an unexpected and heartbreaking outcome?
Amy Wright Glenn is the owner of the Institute for the Study of Birth, Breath and Death, and author of a book by the same title. You may be interested in reading Amy’s other book, Holding Space ~ On Loving, Dying, and Letting Go, as an accompaniment to the webinar.
September 15 (Wednesday, 7–8pm EST)
NAVIGATING DIFFICULT CONVERSATIONS
With author ELLIE ATHERTON
End-of-Life Doulas often find themselves navigating difficult conversations with the dying and their loved ones. Ellie will facilitate a session focused on:
- Techniques and attitudes that help build trust with clients
- How to honor each person’s perspective when various family members are not on the same page regarding end-of-life decisions
- How to advocate for the dying person’s expressed wishes, while respectfully walking the tightrope of loved ones’ denial, heightened emotions, and conflicts.
- Questions the dying commonly have about death and dying and how to know when they are ready to have that conversation.
- And more! Bring your questions.
Ellie is the author of Stepping Stones: Following a Pathway to End of Life, now on our required certification reading list for end-of-life doulas.
Do you have questions about becoming an End-of-Life Doula?
We have answers! Join us June 10 (Thursday 7:30pm EST) for a free interactive webinar on the Top 5 Questions about Becoming an End-of-Life Doula.What is an end-of-life doula and what types of services are offered?How is an EOLD different from a hospice volunteer?What type of background do you need to become an EOLD?Where are services provided?Can I make money as a doula?Bring your questions! Pre-registration is required to get the Zoom link and access code.
Are you interested in offering Reiki as an EOLD?
Please join Reiki Master Teachers Jess Kilbourn and Cindy Guillean in a Reiki 1 Training live online, on June 1-15 (3 Tuesdays, 6-8:30pm EST). Reiki is a loving and gently supportive energy medicine modality. Class will be a mix of discussion, sharing by the instructors, three attunements, historical background and context, hand positions, and how to invite Reiki into your life for self-healing. Please email Jess at firstname.lastname@example.org with your interest or questions.
BECOME A DOULA!
Do you have questions about becoming a doula?
Sign up for one (or both!) of our FREE monthly interactive webinars and get your questions answered.